Basic Boat Info
Engines / Speed
- Make: Volvo-Penta
- Model: D1 - 30 Sail Drive
- Drive Type: SailDrive
- Fuel: Diesel
- Type: Inboard
- Propeller Type: 2 Blade, Bronze, Folding
- Year: 2011
613 Third Street Suite 22
Annapolis, Maryland, US, 21403
Tel:410 267 6550
The FARR 400 is an all new, all carbon, 40ft racing yacht that combines Grand Prix level performance with innovative design details that allow for easy, cost effective transportation anywhere in the world.
The design objectives for the FARR 400 are to produce a fun, state-of-the-art, very high performance, yet easily managed keel boat of around 40 foot LOA. To be successful the design requires a broad appeal among Inshore, One-Design, IRC or PHRF racing, with useable interior space and capabilities to race offshore. As an offshore capable design the Farr 400 meets ORC Category 2, allowing it to compete in many of the offshore classics and its transport-friendly design makes this possible.
Designed by Farr Yacht Design, the worlds most successful racing yacht design team, and crafted by Premier Composite Technologies (PCT), the FARR 400 is designed and built to the highest standards utilizing the latest advanced composite materials and building techniques to deliver the highest specification one design so far.
- Unrivalled performance that is synonymous with the Farr brand - the most successful One Design office in the world.
- The availability of next generation, grand prix style racing that was recently developed in the high performance TP52 class.
- A boat with no performance compromises that can be easily shipped around the world on a 40’ flat rack container meaning substantial cost savings for the owner.
Premier Composite Technologies founded its experience in composite yacht construction in Germany during the late eighties and early nineties with the construction of specialised components like carbon fibre/titanium rudders, keels, spreaders and steering systems for world renowned organisations like Whitbread, Volvo. Americas Cup and Maxi Yachts.
Bringing their expertise in composite boat building with them, their success in Germany was established in Malaysia where, apart from high-tech racing yachts like Mumm 30, Farr 40 and Farr 52, they have also built custom designed super-maxis and cruise racers like the Mills Design 46ft yacht and the Farr 520.
Today the internationally renowned boatbuilding company based in Dubai is ideally positioned to serve its global customer base.
Premier Composite Technologies has established a trend for excellence, building for world renowned designers including Bruce Farr, Botin-Carkeek, Judel-Vrolijk, Jason Ker and Mark Mills. Their impressive portfolio includes:
- Landmark 43
- Ker 53
- Farr 11’s
- Premier 45
Construction utilizes the latest materials and techniques to maximize performance within reasonable ownership costs. The FARR 400 build is a carbon fibre and epoxy foam-core sandwich composite, making it one of the first and most advanced carbon production sailboats in the world. Hull, deck and interior structure are fabricated with vacuum infusion technology to ensure high fibre volume ratios and reduce weight variation. The composite sheathed metal fin keel with lead bulb is retractable from its high performance 2.9 m sailing draft to 1.98 m to improve harbor access and docking, and is easily removed for transportation. The steering system and carbon rudder have been designed to accommodate both tiller and wheel steering.
- The FARR 400 is entirely built in carbon fibre/epoxy sandwich construction, making it one of the first carbon production sailboats in the world, along with the RC44.
- All major geometry is created by precision 5 axis milling which is usually only available for Grand Prix and America’s Cup projects. This ensures that the highly optimized geometry of the hull, keel and rudder are carried through the production process and into the final design with consistently accurate tooling.
- Hull, deck, and interior structure are fabricated with vacuum infusion technology to ensure high fiber volume ratios and reduce weight variation.
- Weight is strictly controlled using a High Modulus Smartpac design. The Smartpac is a three dimensional designed fiber and core package that is tailor made for the FARR 400. This design ensures that every boat has exactly the same amount of materials to guarantee optimized construction and one-design uniformity.
- Composite stanchions, pushpit, and pulpit minimize weight. An aerofoil section pushpit reduces windage and creates improved aesthetics.
The Farr 400’s thoroughly modern hull shape incorporates moderate beam and light displacement, with an emphasis on power, low drag and exceptional handling characteristics. The deep retractable bulb keel and a near 60% ballast ratio produce a deep VCG and high stability. These, combined with the ample rig size and large asymmetric spinnakers set off an elegantly arranged centerline retractable prod, will provide exceptional upwind performance in all conditions and exciting performance and speed downwind and reaching.
- The lines of the FARR 400 have been styled for high performance and to project a dynamic and modern image.
- The full stem and powerful forebody provide dynamic lift when sailing at high speed reflecting the latest in design supported by CFD research.
- Moderate topside flare is limited to max beam for transportation considerations.
- Powerful stern sections incorporate a partial chine for improved high speed handling and reduced drag.
- Refined low drag hull form designed to operate comfortably at higher heel angles to maximize efficiency of the deep keel whilst still achieving high performance downwind.
The asymmetric deck layout of the Farr 400 follows modern Grand Prix race boat practice, for high efficiency and fast maneuvers. A primary grinder pedestal system allows for high speed spinnaker gybes, sail hoists, and string line spinnaker drops. These efficiencies combined with the high stability hull form and ballast package allow the boat to be raced successfully with an intended crew of 8.
- Aggressively designed deck for function and aesthetics.
- Asymmetric starboard cabin side to allow direct line pit functions minimizing line friction.
- Aerodynamic and comfortable sheer radius detail
- Generous oversized cockpit
- Proven winch spacing and general layout based on GP42
- Pedestal driven primary winches allows for:
- - Superior winch speed on asymmetric spinnaker gybes
- - Winch driven spinnaker hoists
- - Spinnaker takedown line drive system
- - Primary winch based keel lifting system with minimal purchase.
- Deep sailing draft of 9.51ft lifting to 6.50ft.
- Modern, CFD refined bulb with high L/D and squish ratios.
- Fabricated iron fin with composite fairing.
- Deep keel lifting by primary winches and pedestal.
- Single rudder complements beam of boat and simplifies layout.
- 1 x AGM 50AH, 1x AGM 80AH Batteries
- 12 Volt distribution/circuit breaker panel
- Bilge Pump
- ISAF approved running lights
- Low weight carbon saloon benches
- Carbon racing galley
- Chemical toilet
- 4 aluminum pipe berths
- Red and white interior lighting
- Low weight 75L bladder water tank
- Manual pump system
Southern Spars Grand Prix Mast
All the spars, spreaders and shrouds (C6+) are Carbon Fibre, by Southern Spars. Swept spreaders and twin masthead backstays make for safety and allow a big headed mainsail.
- Keel-stepped carbon mast and boom. Double spreaders in carbon with a 22 degree sweep.
- Powerful modern square head mainsail
- Spinnaker inventory flown from retractable centerline sprit
- Twin topmast backstays allow for control of mast and forestay tension in a broad range of sailing conditions
- Split mast construction to permit transport within 40-foot container footprint
- Carbon fibre standing rigging for weight savings and simpler storage for shipping and transport
North Sails Grand-Prix 3Di
- Offshore Mainsail
- Lt/Med Jib
- Hvy Jib
- Code Zero
- #4 Jib
- Jib Top
- Ullman A-2
- Re-Painted Foredeck Non-Skid
- Mast refinished
- Mast jack and pump rebuilt
- New Deck Blocks
- Clutches Rebuilt
- New EC6 Rigging
- New Running Backstays + 1y/o set
- New Jeffa Rudder Bearings
- New Cockpit Foot Braces
- New B&G Wand and Wind Board
- 2 - Extra Pipe Berths in Main Saloon
- Interior Hand Rails added
- New Electrical and panel
- 3 new batteries
- Yanmar serviced - new heat exchanger
Farr Yacht Sales offers the details of the listed vessel in good faith. We are diligent in presenting the above facts and inventories of the listed vessel but we cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of the information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. The buyer, whether himself or through his agent or his surveyor, should conduct such investigation, independent confirmation and additional due diligence as the buyer deems necessary before purchasing the vessel.
This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
Bill O'Malley - Farr Yacht Sales America